2019 has been another year of growth for Memphis Medical Society and its associated entities. Please read on for a recap of those moments and what’s to come in 2020, most notably our President’s Gala on Saturday, January 25th, 6:00 p.m., at Shelby Farms Park (you can RSVP here). Thank you to all our members, staff, friends, and partners that made this year a rousing success.
- Our 2019 re-imagined President’s Gala ended a fantastic presidency for Dr. Autry Parker, allowing me to take the reins of our 142-year old organization. Thank you again, Dr. Parker, for your continued service. What’s next? I hand over the reins to our new President, Dr. Danielle Hassel at President’s Gala 2020. All members need to attend so that we can showcase all the Society’s accomplishments. RSVP here!
- More than 50 physicians and friends attended, our annual Day on the Hill along with hundreds of other physicians from across the state. Join us on March 25, 2020.
- We continued to improve our online presence at mdmemphis.org, which includes a searchable member directory, blog, appointment bookings with select members, and a complete events calendar. What’s next? We will be able to provide data and guidance to our members regarding online presences and a business guide for physicians.
- We continued social events for our members to create better collegiality and combat burnout, highlighted by our Gala, first-ever Resident Welcome and M1 Student Reception. More events and burnout solutions to come in 2020!
- We began the process to update the Society’s strategic plan. Our board meetings, member surveys and meetings with physician groups have informed our actions. We have received great feedback thus far and have already taken steps to modernize our organization. What’s next? Publication of the plan and a more modern Memphis Medical Society.
- We received transformational leadership from our medical student chapter leaders this year. The charge was led from Memphis by UTHSC students to increase Graduate Medical Education funding. You can read more here. What’s next? The Society is researching solutions to soften the student loan debt of our members, no matter their career stage.
- We continued our partnership with Tennessee Medical Association and closed one of our most successful legislative sessions ever, combating issues like scope of practice, opioids and balance billing. Read more here.
- We piloted and ultimately launched our Money and Medicine initiative, intended to support physician financial education throughout all career stages. What’s next? We are creating a page at mdmemphis.org dedicated to resources for our members on all things personal and practice finance.
- MEMPAC, our local political action committee, was re-energized and issued support to several candidates. We still need donations and are always looking for MEMPAC/Legislative Committee members. Click here to donate!
- MedTemps, our in-house medical staffing and recruiting service, enjoyed one of its most successful years to date, building on a successful 2018. Call the office and speak with Cailyn to get the support your practice needs. What’s next? A new software vendor, a growing staff and even more placements for our members.
If you made it this far in the email, thank you for your commitment to our organization. I know I speak for the staff and Board of Directors when I say we are committed to making our members’ lives better at home and in the practice. Our doors are always open if you have suggestions for helping us do that. Stay engaged on social media and mdmemphis.org.
Here’s to making 2020 our best year yet.