Monthly health equality updates shared from the American Medical Association as well resources, articles, and materials.
- On Thursday, January 27, 2022, the AMA, in collaboration with Brigham & Women’s Hospital and The Joint Commission, launched a Peer Network for Advancing Equity through Quality and Safety. The learning network is designed to equip eight participating health systems with the knowledge and tools to advance racial justice and equity by leveraging high-performance quality and safety practices and technologies.
- March 7: AMA is excited to announce, In Full Health a new initiative under our Ensure Equity in Innovation approach: a learning and action community grounded in foundational principles for equitable health innovation developed by the Center for Health Equity with our external advisory group and a group of founding collaborator organizations.
- March 14: Deadline for 2022-2023 cohort of the AMA-SHLI Medical Justice In Advocacy Fellowship. The Medical Justice in Advocacy Fellowship is a collaborative effort by American Medical Association (AMA) and the Satcher Health Leadership Institute (SHLI) at Morehouse School of Medicine. The fellowship is a unique, first of its kind post-doctoral fellowship designed to enhance physicians’ advocacy leadership skills to improve health outcomes and advance health equity in the areas they serve or may serve. Using an anti-racist, equity-centered learning framework, the fellowship provides a mentoring and training platform that equips participants with the foundational skills, tools and knowledge to engage in institutional and political health advocacy.
- Coming later this month from Aletha Maybank and Fernando De Maio (in press). Confronting racism in medicine: stories of resistance. Narrative Inquiry in Bioethics.
AMA Equity Resources
- From President Gerald Harmon: Threats, intimidation against doctors and health workers must end | American Medical Association (ama-assn.org)
- [VIDEO] AMA Moving Medicine: Aletha Maybank and Todd Unger on the AMA’s work to advance health equity | AMA Moving Medicine Video | AMA (ama-assn.org)
- [VIDEO] Prioritizing Equity – Fernando De Maio [The Center’s Director of Research and Data Use] discussing AMA’s Narrative, Language, and Concepts Guide: Prioritizing Equity video series: Narratives and language | American Medical Association (ama-assn.org)
- AMA Ed Hub: Health Equity Education Center
- [March 2022 Issue] Toward Abolition Medicine | Journal of Ethics | American Medical Association (ama-assn.org)
Additional Resources Co-Created by AMA Colleagues
- [VIDEO] Aletha Maybank’s interview with leading equity expert Harriet Washington: Podcast: Racism & Health In US Medicine, A Conversation with Harriet Washington | Health Affairs
- Co-authored by Fernando De Maio: A Call for Antiracist Action | NEJM
- Co-authored by Center for Health Equity team – Aletha Maybank, Fernando De Maio, Diana Lemos, Diana Derige: Embedding Racial Justice and Advancing Health Equity at the American Medical Association – The American Journal of Medicine (amjmed.com)
- Co-authored by Karthik Sivashanker: Shifting narratives in health care from resilience to redress and resistance | Nature Reviews Nephrology
AMA Equity in the News