The Supervisor, HIM is responsible for planning, implementing, directing and controlling the activities and operations relating to medical record storage in Health Information Management. Manages Associates in the permanent file, late lab and back scanning areas of the HIM Department. Responsible for QA activities in these areas. Models appropriate behavior as exemplified in our organization’s Mission, Vision and Values.
Education/Training & Experience:
Required: Must have at least (3) years of Health Information Management experience.
Preferred: Bachelor’s degress in HIM, Credentialed in one of the following through AHIMA: Registered Health Information Administration (RHIA); Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT); Certified Professional Coder (CPC) through AAPC
- Ability to understand and prepare complex written materials, such as policy and procedure manuals, equipment manuals and to prepare and analyze statistical and research data.
- Ability to communicate verbally with all levels of Associates, management, physicians, patients and their family and other customers.
- Ability to lead and motivate individuals and groups of people toward the accomplishment of work and organization goals.
- Skill in negotiating with and between individuals and groups of people, including Associates, management and physicians.
- Ability to plan and schedule tasks and projects and to maintain control of own and others’ work flow.
- Skill in developing and implementing long-range plans and programs.
- Ability and temperament to work without supervision and to exercise independent judgment in problem solving and in determining action to be taken in emergency/critical situations.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities/abilities.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Plans, organizes, implements, and controls /permanent file/late lab/back scanning activities and operations to meet our departmental goals and objectives. Assures day-to-day department operations run smoothly and efficiently within established guidelines. Sets goals, objectives and strategies for meeting goals for department.
- Maintains and develops a competent, productive and quality conscious workforce. Develops and implements processes through orientation, training and education to ensure that the competence of all staff members is assessed, maintained, improved, and demonstrated throughout their employment.
- Assists the Director in preparing the annual expense budget, capital request budget, and human resources utilization plan for the discharge analysis/release of information/permanent file/late lab areas.
- Promotes the flow of information by establishing, utilizing and maintaining effective communication systems within and outside the department. Accepts authority and responsibility for staff collaboration to enhance customer service. Communicates a clear vision of organizational values and expectations while encouraging an environment of Associate involvement and creativity.
- Directs, coordinates and negotiates formulary and operating policies, procedures, and programs for /permanent file/late lab/back scanning areas.
- Promotes and maintains an environment that encourages and provides appropriate opportunity for the staff as well as identifying opportunity for self-development and enhancement of professional competency as relates to annual performance objectives. Demonstrates initiative in identifying opportunities for self-development and enhancement of professional competency.
- Directs departmental based quality and compliance monitoring and evaluation activities and implements measures to ensure that hospital, JCAHO, and other quality and regulatory standards are met.
Supervision Provided by this Position:
The incumbent supervises approximately 16 Associates.
- Frequent trips outside facility to meetings, classes, etc.
- Ability to read and write in order to communicate both orally and in written form with other individuals.
- Normal vision and hearing could be hearing-aid enhanced.
- Ability to lift and carry 35-40 lbs.
- Ability to walk, stands, sits, reach, kneel, climb, and bend throughout shift.
- Ability to use feet and hands together for repetitive, coordinated motions as well as repetitive hand and wrist motions.
- Ability to use hands for gripping and squeezing.
Must possess the physical and mental stamina to deal with stressful situations.