- You must be a member of both The Memphis Medical Society and Tennessee Medical Association. Membership is ‘unified’ meaning that to be a member of one, you must be a member of both. Membership is open to all physicians who either reside or practice in Shelby County. It is necessary for you to complete an application and submit it to the Society, along with your CV, photo and payment. Once your application is approved by the membership committee and board, you will receive notification of your active status. A membership kit will be provided to you with information on the benefits and services of the MMS / TMA and your membership ID, and website login information.
- Membership in the MMS / TMA aligns you with more than 7,200 practicing physicians across the state of Tennessee. The primary mission of MMS / TMA is to serve as the main advocate for physician members in the state legislature, to the insurance industry and to the regulatory authorities. The MMS / TMA provide ongoing educational opportunities to physicians in all specialties and stands as a vital information resource for today’s practicing physicians. We provide legal and governmental consultation, public relations and policy development support, practice management services and a voice in ever-evolving practice of medicine to every member of the organization. The Memphis Medical Society and Tennessee Medical Association are membership organizations. The services we offer and the activities we become involved in are at the direction of the membership. Funds to support these activities are generated primarily through membership dues.
Active Membership Benefits
- As a member of The Memphis Medical Society, you have an opportunity to influence how medicine is practiced now and in the future. In addition to invaluable information, your Society offers you a wide variety of discounts and services to help you practice medicine more effectively.
Benefits of The Memphis Medical Society include:
- Keeping members informed of medical-political issues that affect the practice of medicine
- Supporting candidates in harmony with the medical profession
PROFESSIONAL SERVICE PROGRAMS
- MedTemps – our temporary medical personnel service
- Physician referral service
- Physician-patient grievance mediation
- HMO and PPO contract review services
- Group purchasing plans
- Discounted banking, credit and financial management services
MULTI-MEDIA COMMUNICATIONS AND EDUCATIONAL SERVICES
- News Bulletin – Bi-weekly newsletter
- Medical Society Quarterly – Quarterly magazine
- Annual pictorial directory
- Media response panel
- Seminar series for practice management and financial planning
- Providing awards foundation grants and scholarships for deserving medical students
- Promoting education and research in the field of medicine
- Providing physician speakers, free of charge, to community groups
Membership in the Tennessee Medical Association is a sound investment that protects you and your practice. Increase your personal influence in today’s medical marketplace by joining with your peers across the state to strengthen medicine’s unified voice.
Benefits of the Tennessee Medical Association include:
LEGISLATIVE, LEGAL AND REGULATORY REPRESENTATION
- A strong voice and leadership in Tennessee’s General Assembly through TMA’s Legislative Committee, an in-house staff of government affairs experts
- Legal assistance and advice through on-staff attorneys and through the TMA Physician’s Guide to Health Law and Practice Management
- Constant monitoring of and reporting on the state medical regulatory boards and agencies
- One of the state’s most respected and revered political action committees, IMPACT, Independent Medicine’s Political Action Committee – Tennessee
- Special sections to address the needs and interests of young physicians, medical students and physicians on organized hospital medical staffs
- Online forums for idea exchange and peer communication
- Annual meetings to debate and develop politics that will help shape the practice of medicine in Tennessee
- The opportunity to participate in TMA’s committee structure which develops recommendations to guide the Association
PUBLICATIONS AND SPECIAL COMMUNICATIONS
- Tennessee Medicine – TMA’s monthly socio-economic magazine and scientific journal
- TMA Chart – TMA’s monthly membership newsletter
- TMA’s website – http://www.tnmed.org/
- Legistat – a weekly update of happenings and successes during the legislative session
- Regional seminars on practice management and professional issues
- TMA managed care contract review service
- TMA/Passport One Source, online patient insurance verification program
Intern/Resident Membership Benefits
Intern/Resident/Fellow membership provides physicians-in-training the opportunity to learn more about the business of medicine and all that membership in organized medicine offers to physicians. It also provides new physicians with an active voice in the decision making process of the association.Intern/Resident/Fellow membership is FREE to all physicians who are actively enrolled in postgraduate residency programs or fellowships. Simply complete a short application and you then you will go through the same approval process as an actively practicing member. By allowing Interns/Residents/Fellows the chance to become involved in our organizations early in their careers we hope to develop a long-term, mutually beneficial relationship over the career life of the member.
Student Membership Benefits
The Memphis Medical Society and Tennessee Medical Association provide student members with many of the same benefits as actively practicing physicians. Both the MMS and TMA lobby on behalf of medical students regarding policies that will affect the funding of residency programs and help alleviate medical education debt, among others.
Through the MMS and TMA, the American Medical Association (AMA) provides student members with print and online subscriptions to the Journal of the American Medical Association (a $660 value) Medical Student JAMA Online and the option to receive American Medical News (a $140 value). Students also receive a free copy of Stedman’s Concise Medical Dictionary (a $35 value).
The AMA’s Fellowship and Residency Interactive Database is also available to students to learn about all accredited residency programs in the country, a valuable tool for your next career step. Members can receive free mailing labels for 30 accredited U.S. residency-training programs of their choice. Also, students can receive housing during their residency interviews through the AMA Alliance’s Community Welcoming Program.